It is undeniable that, at the pace at which the world is developing our lives are becoming busier each day. Stay-at-home moms have evolved into career women, and with the increase in day to day expenses, people are more aware of the importance of having multiple income streams. This has led to people having multiple jobs to attend to in a single day. Whatever the case is, it is essential to maintain healthy eating habits.
Effects of unhealthy eating.
When the pressure is mounting, it is easy to succumb to unhealthy eating habits. With the availability of fast foods at every corner, it is much easier to purchase an already prepared meal rather than having to get home and start from scratch to prepare a healthy meal. However, getting used to this kind of lifestyle can be detrimental to your health in the following ways;
• You are more prone to headaches due to high sodium content which can affect your ability to cope with pressure.
• Intake of fast foods increases the risk of depression and low performance at work and school.
• Your blood sugar may spike due to excess amounts of empty carbohydrates.
• Due to blood sugar constantly spiking, you may eventually be affected by insulin resistance.
• Because of high sodium intake, you are more prone to high blood pressure, bloating and puffiness due to water retention caused by too much sodium in the body.
• High levels of trans-fats may lead to acne, high cholesterol, weight gain, high blood pressure, heart diseases and shortness of breath which may result from weight gain.
• Your ability to learn new things and grasp new concepts is affected.
• Too much exposure and intake of junk food may cause you to be impulsive.
• Junk food impedes the generation of new neurons.
Benefits of healthy eating.
Even though the idea of having to prepare a healthy meal after a long day of working or attending classes sounds dreadful, it is beneficial to your health and your busy lifestyle in the long run. Some of the benefits include;
1. Improved attention span.
2. Ability to grasp and learn new concepts.
3. Ability to make better decisions and better responses to interactions with the people around you
4. Increase in mental and physical endurance.
5. A better mood.
6. Better health hence you can focus on advancing your career or scoring high in your classes.
7. Increased resistance to diseases hence you don’t have to miss a day at work or school.
8. Better health also means you will do better financially without all those hospital bills that come from poor health.
9. Improvement in memory.
10. Overall improvement in your mental health.
Ways to eat healthy for busy people.
There are healthy eating apps that can help you with meal planning, millions of resources online that can help you find quick and easy to make recipes like Amazon healthy eating cookbooks available at very affordable prices, food blogs, and Youtube videos.
Having a schedule allows you to stay in control of your busy life. Planning also comes in handy with meal planning. This enables you to make time to prepare and have a balanced diet throughout the day, remember to include slots for snacking too.
2. Pack your own lunch and snacks.
As opposed to buying lunch, try packing your own lunch and snacks. This allows you to be more in control of the kind of food you are putting into your body. Try to pick healthier snacks like nuts and dried fruits or protein bars and granola bars.
3. Try out microwave meals.
Microwaves meals are a much faster way of putting together a meal. There are plenty of recipes that can be found online. Try to use microwave dishes that are not plastic.
4. Try out 15 minute recipes and casseroles.
You can reduce the meal preparation time by trying out recipes that take 15 minutes or less to prepare. This includes 3 ingredient meals and one pot meals. Also, try that oven baked or cooked casseroles so that you can do other things while your meal is cooking up.
Resist multitasking while eating and treat your mealtime with respect. Mealtime is time to nourish your body and connect with it. It is essential to fully pay attention, enjoy your meal and watch out for signs that your gut is full so that you don’t overeat. Mindful eating allows your body to absorb more nutrients from your meals.
6. Precook and pre-pack meals for freezing or refrigeration.
Precooking can be done for vegetables, soups, and meat. It is important to make sure that your precooked meals are well re-heated when you want to eat them, find information from trusted sources on how to properly reheat different kinds of foods.
7. Move around with a water bottle.
Keep a water bottle visible so that you remember to stay hydrated throughout the day. Sometimes we get too busy we forget to drink water.
8. Make healthy food choices in restaurants.
Try to pick meals that have less fat, if you are having a salad opt to have your salad dressing separate from the salad so that you can dress your own salad. Watch out for words like fried, crispy, sautéed etc. that indicate that there is too much fat in the meat.
9. Schedule your meals and snacks at the same time every day.
Having your meals and snacks at the same time every day helps you form a habit which then automatically becomes a behavior. This helps your body adjust to your meal times hence when it is time to have that meal or that snack, you automatically have that much-needed meal or snack.
10. Bar food is bad food.
Before a night out with the buddies, try to have a proper meal at home so that when you finally go out, you are not tempted by bar snacks like hot wings and other greasy foods.